Benefits of Dates Fruit
Muslims generally break their fast by eating dates. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is reported to have said: “if anyone of you is fasting, let him break his fast with dates. In case he does not have them, then with water. Verily water is a purifier.”
The Prophet used to break his fast by eating some dates before offering Maghrib prayer, and if ripe dates were not available, he used to substitute them with some dried grapes. When they too were not available, he used to have a few sips of water, according to some reports.
Hadith from our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
(1) The Prophet (PBUH) said: “Break your fast by eating dates as it is purifying.” (Narrated by Ahmad)
(2) The Prophet (PBUH) said: “ Whoever finds dates should break his fast with them and the one who does not should break his fast with water because it is pure”
The Prophet (Peace & blessings of Allah be on him) said:
(Whoever eats seven date fruits of the high land “Medina Munawwarah” in the morning, no poison or sorcery shall hurt him that day.)
The Prophet (Pbuh) used to combine dates with bread sometimes. At other times he mixed ripe dates with cucumber, or dates combined with ghee. He used to take all varieties of dates, but he preferred the variety called Ajwah.
Sayyidah Ayisha, (R.A.) wife of Prophet (Pbuh), used to prescribe dates for those suffering from giddiness.
Sayyidah Mariam (the Virgin Mary) mother of Jesus (Pbuh) had dates as her food when she felt labour pains and during confinement.
In Quran, Surah Maryam (19), Verse number 23 ..
(1) In the Qur’an when Maryam(as) the mother of Prophet Jesus(as) was giving birth to him and she was experiencing pain, she was told to: ” Shake the trunk of the palm towards you and fresh, ripe dates will drop down onto you.”
(2) And in the earth are tracts (diverse though) neighboring, and gardens of vines and fields sown with corn, and palm trees – growing out of single roots or otherwise: watered with the same water, yet some of them We make more excellent than others to eat. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who understand! (Qur’an, 13:4)
Allah the Almighty says in Holy Quran:
(Shake also to thee the palm-trunk, and there shall come tumbling upon thee dates fresh and ripe. Eat therefore, and drink, and be comforted;)
And thereby He brings forth for you crops, and olives, and palms, and vines, and all kinds of fruit. Surely in that is a sign for a people who reflect.)
Health benefits of dates fruit are uncountable.
The nicotinic content that is present in the dates is said to be beneficial for curing any kinds of intestinal disorders. Continuous intake of dates helps to maintain a check on the growth of the pathological organisms and thus, helps in the rise of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
Constipation: Date is termed to be a laxative food. This is the reason that dates are beneficial for people suffering from constipation. For getting the laxative effect from dates, you need to soak dates for one full night in water. You should consume these soaked dates in the morning like syrup to get their actual advantages.
Healthy Heart: Dates are quite helpful in maintaining your heart in a healthy condition. When soaked for a night and crushed in the morning and consumed, they prove to be quite advantageous for weak hearts. They help in fortifying the heart, if taken twice in a week.
Weight Gain: Dates are said to be a part of healthy diet. They consist of sugar, fats, proteins as well as many essential vitamins. If the dates are consumed with the paste of cucumber, one can easily come out from the problem of over-slimming. One kilogram of dates contains almost 3,000 calories. These calories alone are sufficient to meet the daily requirements of a human body.
Sexual Weakness: Dates are even beneficial for increasing sexual stamina in the human body. A handful of dates, when soaked in fresh goat’s milk for the night and then grinded in the same milk with the mixture of cardamom powder and honey, becomes a very useful tonic for increasing sex endurance and sterility caused due to functional disorders.
Intoxication: Dates are known as an excellent remedy for alcoholic intoxication. Dates provide quick relief in the case of alcoholic intoxication. They should be rubbed and soaked overnight for getting more nutritious values from them.
Diarrhea: Ripe dates contain potassium. Potassium is beneficial for controlling diarrhea. They are easily digestible, which helps to cope up with the problems of diarrhea.
Abdominal Cancer: Dates are beneficial for curing abdominal cancer. They work as useful tonic for all age groups. They work as better as the medicines, and are natural and do not bear any side effects in the body. They can be easily digested and used for supplying extra and needed energy.
Nutritional Value/Facts of Dates
· 100 gm of dates contains; 2 mg of “Sodium”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 75 gm of “Total Carbohydrates”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 8 gm of “Dietary Fiber”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 63 gm of “Sugars”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 2 gm of “Protein”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; A 10 IU of “Vitamin”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.4 mg of “Vitamin C”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.05 mg of “Vitamin E”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 2.7 mcg of “Vitamin K”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.052 mg of “Thiamin”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.066 mg of “Riboflavin”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 1.274 mg of “Niacin”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.165 mg of “Vitamin B6″.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0 mcg of “Vitamin B12″.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 19 mcg of “Folate”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.589 mcg of “Pantothenic Acid”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 39 mg of “Calcium”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 1.02 mg of “Iron”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 43 mg of “Magnesium”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 62 mg of “Phosphorus”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 656 mg of “Potassium”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 2 mg of “Sodium”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.29 mg of “Zinc”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.206 mg of “Copper”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.262 mg of “Manganese”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 3 mcg of “Selenium”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.39 mg of “Total Fat”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.032 mg of “Saturated Fat”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.036 mg of “Monounsaturated Fat”.
· 100 gm of dates contains; 0.019 mg of “Polyunsaturated Fat”.